We all know that exercise is an important part of being healthy but that doesn’t make it any easier to stick to a consistent routine. Here are a few suggestions to try. I hope they help inspire a confidence in you that blossoms into a healthy lifestyle change.Read More
Northwest Wellness's Blog
Useful information for a healthy lifestyle.
Looking for a specific blog topic? Search here:
Sciatica,(aka pain in the butt), affects the buttocks, legs, groin, and lumbar spine. The symptoms can range from pain, weakness, tingling, numbness, or burning. The source of the pain is the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lumbar spine, into the glutes, and down the back of the legs. The following are some stretches that can help relieve the pain by stretching the surrounding muscles. The first three stretches are for the piriformis muscle. They range from more beginning to more advance depending on your level.Read More
One common area that is susceptible to fascial tension and resultant pain is the bottom (plantar) surface of the foot. Symptoms you’ll experience are sharp or aching heel pain at rest and upon landing (often in the morning), arch tenderness, and regional swelling. To some, the nagging discomfort can interfere in daily activities and to others the pain can be debilitating.Read More
May is one of my favorite months as it is National Bicycle Month! Most of you have heard me drone on about all the amazing benefits of cycling and this gives me a wonderful opportunity to remind all of you that cycling is one of the best activities for your health and wellbeing. Why cycling?
· Cycling is easy on the joints and promotes healthy hips and knees.
· Cycling improves both strength and cardiovascular fitness.
· Cycling is social, often done in groups and provide opportunity to meet new, cool people who wear goofy clothes.
· Cycling can also be solitary and provide you with time alone to destress and think
· Cycling improve balance and coordination
· Cycling keeps your mind sharp, not only through the positive effects of exercise but also the mental acuity required to ride outside and with other.
· Cycling gets you outside to enjoy the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
· Cycling is a great way to see other cities or countries close up.
May 10th is also National Bike to Work Day. If you haven’t given that a try, think about dusting off your old bike (‘cause everybody has one!) and give it a go.
Always be sure to wear a helmet, proper eye protection and clothing. Learn the appropriate bike signals for stopping, turning and passing to ensure your safety and the safety of others. Enjoy the ride!Read More
Northwest Wellness is the lifetime vision of Dr. Lorri Nichols of Federal Way, WA. Beginning as a small chiropractic practice in 1989, Northwest Wellness has grown into a multidisciplinary, integrated practice providing comprehensive health care to Federal Way and the surrounding community. Our practice consists of primary care, chiropractic, physical therapy, massage therapy, naturopathic medicine, acupuncture, nutrition and weight loss to serve all of your health care needs.Read More
There are plenty of reasons for low back and hip discomfort. Different diagnoses, muscle, disc or nerve involvements and pathologies require specific movements and modifications. Rather than getting into those details or specifics, I’m going to touch on general stretches for the lower extremity, hips and lumbar spine. These are basics that each and every one of us should be doing to maintain good range of motion, tissue flexibility, improve trunk posture and find relief from tension and tightness.Read More
Eighty percent of all adults will experience and episode of lower back pain during their lifetime. For some individuals this will become a chronic condition that can become debilitating. Here are some tips to avoid back pain and take good care of your spine:
· Sit with Proper Posture-Shoulders back with your lower back slightly curved forward. You can also use a lower back cushion for extra support.
· Avoid Prolonged Sitting-If your job requires you to sit for eight hours per day be sure to stand up, stretch and walk around every hour.
· Bend At Your Hip-When bending over, hinge at your hips while keeping your back straight rather than bending in the lower back.
· Use Proper Lifting Techniques- Hold the item close to your body, engage your core and bend at the knees or the hips.
· Sleep on the Proper Mattress in the Correct Position-A mattress should be firm enough to support your weight but have a soft enough cover to cushion your body. Sleep on your side with a pillow between your knees or on your back with a pillow under your knees.
· Avoid An Inflammatory Diet –Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, healthy fats and healthy proteins. Avoid sugar and processed foods.
· STOP SMOKING-smoking inhibits blood flow, weakens your bones and breaks down the cushioning disks between the bones of the spine.
· Exercise Regularly – Walk, swim, cycle, stretch and lift weights. These activities promote flexibility, strength and circulation which will keep your spine healthy.
· Maintain a Healthy Weight- carrying extra weight will stress the joints of the spine as well as the knees and ankles causing degeneration and pain.
For more information on avoiding back pain and maintaining a healthy spine call Northwest Wellness in Federal Way, WA at 2539270660
Low back pain is far too common in today's society. About 80% of people will experience low back pain at some point throughout life. Low back pain can be very debilitating for many people and can severely impact overall quality of life. The good news is that low back pain can be managed. In fact, most low back pain conditions are easily managed conservatively and do not require surgery.Read More
Yoga is an ancient form of exercise that combines postures, breathing techniques, and meditative practices to improve mental, physical, and emotional wellbeing. When done properly, yoga is very beneficial in combination with Chiropractic care, especially patients suffering from injury.Read More