There are so many individuals that experience sciatica and sometimes the person experiencing this type of pain often do not understand what it means or how to seek treatment. What’s important to know is identifying the symptoms (with the help of your primary care physician) and creating a treatment plan.Read More
It is important for everyone to select a comfortable and supportive pillow for a restful night’s sleep. This is even more essential for those who suffer from neck pain, back pain or recovering from an injury. The pillow you select should be dense enough to support the spine but not so thick that it forces the spine into forward or lateral flexion.
Many people with deadlines at work tend to be focused on getting those deadlines done in a timely manner. Well, while working so diligently, we tend to forget about ourselves and so our health deteriorates slowly and slowly. The health issue until it’s too late where we have severe issues that take more aggressive procedures to combat. Although health is our line of work, we do not want to see someone who is so far gone that it takes an army to help fix them.Read More
Do you have knots in the muscles, chronic tightness, and/or pain when pushing on certain muscles? You are not alone. Myofascial pain syndrome is a very annoying, frustrating problem that many people suffer with daily. Muscle knots, or more specifically, myofascial trigger points are areas of muscle that hurt to touch, lack movement, and cause stiffness.Read More
Tired of fad diets and yo-yo dieting? Weight loss should be more of a lifestyle and less of a diet regiment. Try incorporating these tips in your daily routine to keep your weight in a healthy range.
In all of my experiences of being in the fitness field, I’ve seen dozens of people go from being overweight to wanting to lose weight. The problem with this is that people want to go from 0-60mph in the quickest way possible when that shouldn’t be the case.Read More
Deep tissue massage can feel so good during the session. And while you the pain you felt before the massage is gone you can still feel pretty sore the next day. What can you do to help alleviate the soreness?Read More
Most all adults will be affected by lower back pain at some point in their lives. Here are some tips to prevent lower back pain and avoid injury:
· Watch Your Posture. When you are standing keep your core engages and your knees relaxed. When sitting, sit up straight with a slight forward arch in your back or use a small pillow for support.
· Exercise. Keeping the core muscles strong through exercise provides support to the lower back or lumbar spine
· Stretch Regularly. Stretch the muscles of the lower back and legs daily. If you have trouble doing this on your own consider a yoga or stretching class
· Lift Properly. Bend at the knees and hold the object close to your body. If you do have to bend at the waist be sure to keep your back straight, hinge at the hips and engage your core
· Wear Supportive Shoes. Particularly if you stand at work or home it is important to wear shoes with proper support and a reasonable heel. For some patients custom orthotics are also helpful
· Watch Your Weight. Carrying extra weight, particularly around the mid-section, puts undue strain and pressure on the lumbar spine. A regiment of healthy eating and exercise will keep your weight within a normal range.
For more information on preventing or treating lower back pain call Northwest Wellness in Federal Way at 2539270660.Read More
“What are those torture tools?” asks a patient as they see 6 stainless steel tools sitting on a chair in our treatment room. That question has been asked more than once, leading me to write about Graston Technique ®.Read More