Joints are made up of two bones that join together allowing portions of the body to move in specific directions. There are many different types of joints that are classified by their structure as well as how the move. Joints are important as the allow motion and provide support to the body. As we age, it is important to keep them healthy and preserve their integrity.
Consider the following to insure the health of the joints in your body:
· Keep your body weight in a healthy range to avoid excess stress on your weight bearing joints
· Stay active to promote normal mobility
· Eat a balanced diet with healthy fats, lean proteins, fruits and vegetables
· Warm up first, then stretch before and after exercise
· Wear supportive shoes or orthotics for arch support and stabilization
· Exercise daily including low-impact aerobics, yoga, core stability and weight training
· Don’t over-do, keep your activities and exercise in a pain-free range
· Keep your bones strong with weight bearing exercise, calcium and vitamin D
· Practice good posture in sitting, standing and lifting
· Treat injured joint appropriately with RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation)
· Consider joint healthy supplements such as glucosamine, chondroitin and Omega 3s
Having regular chiropractic check ups will also ensure your joint stay in proper alignment and move within a normal range of motion, preventing degeneration or joint disease. For more information on joint health, chiropractic care and nutrition, call Northwest Wellness in Federal Way, WA at 2539270660.