A 12 ounce soda has about 150 calories and 10 teaspoons of sugar. That is more sugar than any of us should ingest in an entire day! An excessive amount of sugar in your diet makes you gain weight, is bad for your teeth, your metabolism and your heart. In addition, cola consumption in young women leads to osteoporosis in middle age.
What are some ways to kick the soda habit?
· WATER…It tastes good, its free, has zero calories and is good for you
· Herbal or green teas are full of nutritious herbs and antioxidants with healthy benefits
· Sparkling waters, plain, with a lime or lemon or a splash of fruit juice
· A cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of red wine at night as shown to provide health benfits-just don’t overdo!
· Dairy substitutes like almond or rice milk are a tasty substitute and much lower in calories than sodas.
AND PLEASE…don’t think of diet soda as a good substitute. Research shows that the artificial sweetners in diet sodas can negatively impact your metabolism, cause weight gain, diabetes, heart disease and damage your kidneys.
For more information on nutrition, health and wellness contact Northwest Wellness in Federal Way, WA at 2539270660