Eighty percent of all adults will experience and episode of lower back pain during their lifetime. For some individuals this will become a chronic condition that can become debilitating. Here are some tips to avoid back pain and take good care of your spine:
· Sit with Proper Posture-Shoulders back with your lower back slightly curved forward. You can also use a lower back cushion for extra support.
· Avoid Prolonged Sitting-If your job requires you to sit for eight hours per day be sure to stand up, stretch and walk around every hour.
· Bend At Your Hip-When bending over, hinge at your hips while keeping your back straight rather than bending in the lower back.
· Use Proper Lifting Techniques- Hold the item close to your body, engage your core and bend at the knees or the hips.
· Sleep on the Proper Mattress in the Correct Position-A mattress should be firm enough to support your weight but have a soft enough cover to cushion your body. Sleep on your side with a pillow between your knees or on your back with a pillow under your knees.
· Avoid An Inflammatory Diet –Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, healthy fats and healthy proteins. Avoid sugar and processed foods.
· STOP SMOKING-smoking inhibits blood flow, weakens your bones and breaks down the cushioning disks between the bones of the spine.
· Exercise Regularly – Walk, swim, cycle, stretch and lift weights. These activities promote flexibility, strength and circulation which will keep your spine healthy.
· Maintain a Healthy Weight- carrying extra weight will stress the joints of the spine as well as the knees and ankles causing degeneration and pain.
For more information on avoiding back pain and maintaining a healthy spine call Northwest Wellness in Federal Way, WA at 2539270660