Much has been written about the importance of good posture, but how can we achieve it? Here are a few tips to insure that you are maintaining proper body alignment:
· Be aware! Just taking the time to check yourself periodically throughout the day whether sitting at your desk, driving, standing or walking. Keep your shoulders back, your tummy muscles engaged and your ears over your shoulders
· Exercise. Keep your core muscles strong through regular exercise. Classes like Yoga, Pilates, Barre and TRX are particularly helpful
· Take a break. Stand up from your desk at least once per hour. Stretch or take a short walk to correct your body alignment.
· Put down that phone! Texting or using a portable electronic excessively leads to slumped posture and “text neck”
· Sleep in proper alignment. Either on your side with a pillow between your knees or on your back with a pillow under your knees. A chiropractic cervical pillow will provide proper neck support in either position
· Save the high heels for date night. High heel shoes push the lumbar spine into excessive lordosis and strain the lower back
For more information on spinal alignment, posture and exercise please call Northwest Wellness in Federal Way, WA at 2539270660