I"m really excited to share this recipe with you guys! After searching the internet for a great carrot cake recipe I came across this one that I might try out at http://www.noexcusesnutrition.com/spiced-carrot-cake-protein-cupcakes/ (Thank you Sarah Wilkins). Even though I’m getting ready for my next bodybuilding show, I still like to include tasty treats in my diet. Check this out and let me know what you guys think on our Facebook page
- 80g vanilla protein powder (I used Jamie Eason Lean Body for Her Whey Isolate)
- 6 tbsp. Pyure organic stevia blend = 3/4 cup baking stevia or sugar
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp. Truvia brown sugar blend (optional) = 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup (6 large) egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 6 oz. fat free cream cheese
- 6 oz. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Pyure organic stevia blend = 1/2 cup baking stevia or sugar
- 1/8 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (through cloves) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add grated carrot and remaining wet ingredients (through vanilla), mixing until combined.
- Line wells of a muffin tin with paper, silicone, or foil cupcake liners, lightly coating the insides of the liners with cooking spray. Or, omit the liners and just spray the insides of the muffin wells.
- Divide batter between wells, three-quarters of the way to the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean.
- While your cupcakes cool, beat together frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag (or a sealable baggie with one corner cut off) to decorate your cupcakes (or just spread with a knife)! Garnish with chopped pecans and unsweetened coconut if desired (not included in the nutrition facts).
- Enjoy right away or store in the fridge up to one week (no preservatives). These can also be frozen and then thawed at room temperature (or using the defrost setting on your microwave).
- Calories (per cupcake, including frosting and optional ingredients): 113kcal, Fat: 2.6g, Sat fat: 0.9g, Carbs: 11g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 12.5g, Sodium: 287mg
- Calories (per cupcake, minus frosting and optional ingredients): 72kcal, Fat: 2.2g, Sat fat: 0.7g, Carbs: 6g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 7g, Sodium: 120mg