You got through the pregnancy and delivery, can hold your little bundle of joy, and now are faced with the reality that your body is not the same as it used to be. This is the realization of moms everywhere. This blog will be about how to get your body back in shape after nature has made changes that you may not be so happy with.
- First and foremost, do not expect to have the body of pre pregnancy. While some may, for most that is an unrealistic expectation. That doesn’t mean that you can’t lose weight and get back into shape. It just means that things are different now.
- As a chiropractor, I urge women to come in soon after delivery to get adjusted. The body releases the hormone relaxin around the time of delivery and afterwards, as relaxin leaves the body, the ligaments of the pelvis and lumbar spine tighten up again and need to do that in proper alignment.
- Start at a doable pace. It seems silly but when I first got back after pregnancy, I did simple videos such as “walk yourself into shape” or something like that. Pregnancy/delivery is traumatic for the body and it has to heal. Be nice to it.
- Use your baby to help. I’m not talking a newborn necessarily but when my kids got old enough to hold their head up, I would use them like a weight to do bicep curls or do lunges/squats with the added weight. Be creative, but safe!
- Gauge your progress. Take pictures, write down times/weights, etc. Something that helps to remind you how far you have come. Small changes over time are important for some people to show their hard work is paying off.
- This is kind of after the fact or for future use but be active during pregnancy. Pregnancy is not an excuse to eat horribly and not do anything. The more active you are before and during pregnancy, typically the easier the recovery.