Headaches are one of the most common conditions that we treat at Northwest Wellness. Most patients who visit us for this condition suffer from tension headaches; however migraines are also fairly common. Chiropractic care is both safe and effective at treating headaches and ending, in many cases, years of suffering. There are multiple types of headaches; however most are amenable to spinal manipulation. In some cases soft tissue (muscle, ligaments and tendons) therapy, cessation of over-the-counter medication and dietary changes may also become necessary.
Headache fall into the following categories:
· Tension headache: Typically felt around the neck, base of the skull and temples. They are typically caused by misalignment of the cervical spine (neck vertebra) and tension in the neck muscles
· Migraine headache: These headaches can be quite severe and debilitating, causing moderate to severe head pain, nausea and light sensitivity
· Cluster headaches: Characterized by severe, debilitating pain on one side of the head, and are often accompanied by a watery eye and nasal congestion or a runny nose on the same side of the face.
· Sinus headaches: The result of sinus infection or inflammation and are typically felt in the front of the head or around the nose.
· Rebound headaches: Overuse of painkillers for headaches can, ironically, lead to rebound headaches. Culprits include over-the-counter medications like aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol), or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), as well as prescription drugs.
One theory is that too much medication can cause the brain to shift into an excited state, triggering more headaches. Another is that rebound headaches are a symptom of withdrawal as the level of medicine drops in the bloodstream.
Common causes of many of these headaches are misalignment of the vertebra in the neck or tight muscles in the neck, upper back or under the skull. The best treatments for these types of headaches are spinal adjustments, soft tissue mobilization or deep tissue massage. There are additional causes of some types of headaches such as nutritional deficiency, food allergies and dehydration which are effectively treated through naturopathic medicine.
Each of the types of headaches respond to natural, safe and effective treatments offered at Northwest Wellness in Federal Way, WA. For more information call 253-927-0660.