From my perspective Community Service is at the very heart and soul of Chiropractic. Our profession has always been one of “grass roots”, embraced by the millions of patients who achieve health through chiropractic care. It makes perfect sense to give back to the individuals who have supported our profession throughout the course of our history.
Community Service has also always been a personal passion of mine and our practice, Northwest Wellness, represents that passion throughout the Federal Way community. We have four standard events each year; Food and Clothing Drive, Backpack Drive, Spring In to Health and Halloween Trick or Treat. In addition we attend and support our local athletes at runs, cycling events and triathlons, continually look for opportunities to support our community.
Volunteers are critical partners of and participants in societies throughout the world. Whether actively giving their time through a formal or ad hoc organizations, or taking part in what is sometimes called "informal volunteering" where citizens voluntarily participate in community activities or provide personal care for family, friends, neighbors, or even strangers as part of accepted cultural norms of giving and reciprocity
Volunteering increases overall life satisfaction and helps you feel good about yourself because you are helping others. It can also help to decrease stress and ease depression. There are many other social and psychological benefits to community service:
· Increases your sense of empathy. By putting ourselves in their shoes we can understand the suffering and needs of others.
- Makes us more generous. Learning to give brings out the best in us at all levels. We become more open to giving our time and effort to those around us, both at work and at home.
- Increases our sense of justice. Helping others overcome challenges and fighting for their rights helps volunteers become aware of what justice and fairness really means.
- Increases respectfulness of others and the organizations that promote volunteering. Volunteers learn to use the resources they are given for the higher good of others.
- Reinforces ties with the community. The volunteer better understands the reality and the problems of the people in his or her community.
- Raises self-esteem and creates a sense of gratitude. As it fosters contact with people of all walks of life, those who volunteer often feel better about themselves and also more grateful for what they have.
- Positively impacts the world we live in. Feeling that you´re making a difference in the world you live in is a wonderful feeling.
So this holiday season and throughout the year, please join us at Northwest Wellness in Federal Way, WA in giving back to our community, our country and our world!